Content Management Systems (CMS) are applications that enable you to create and manage content in a systematic way. There are a number of content management systems available in the market today. Each one has its own set of rich features that makes them stand out. In this article, I have picked up two popular CMS – WordPress and Weebly. You will get to read a comparative study of both these platforms.
Released initially in May 2003, WordPress is a free, open source software that has the maximum market share today in terms of usage. Launched in 2006, Weebly is yet another CMS popular among beginners. It lets you play around with pictures, paragraphs, maps, videos and other basic elements required to build a website.
• Slightly complicated but an efficient open source website builder
• WordPress allows you to either insert or choose from media library
• Every facility is compartmentalized, which makes it clear and easy for both owners and users
• Easy to use hosted site builder
• Intuitive / Drag and drop facility
• Watch the site as you create. (You can actually watch what you are building)
• Integrated blogging system, advanced functionality
• Plugins, widgets etc handle variable useful features
• Easy customize appearance and features of sites
• Quite minimalistic – beginners can build a website easily
• All tools are controlled within a single environment
• Complete package. No set limitations. Advanced system, Functional, Scalable
• Enough number of options, completely customizable framework with technical expertise
• Has its limitations with limited design options
• Simple for beginners because Coding is unnecessary,
• Much less customizable
• Vary from Community Forum, Email communication, Questions and Answers area, live support, video guide, documentations
• Payment needed for customization
• The update version is introduced regularly according to comments of users, create new features.
• Enough help guides (library)
• Support system with live chat, email communication, phone support in a closed system.
Users produce about 84.3 million new posts each month
Market share trends for WordPress for websites as of 5th May 2017 is 58.9%
More than 40 million websites use Weebly every month
Market share trends for Weebly for websites as of 5th May 2017 is 0.4%
CMS – free; Hosting – $5 per month; Plugins – Starts from $10 per month, Customization has its costs.
Starter – $8/month; Pro – $ 12/mo; Business – $25/mo; Performance – $49/mo
Weebly and WordPress Advantages
• WordPress is one of the top website builders available.
• Lets you create a mobile friendly site quickly in just a few clicks
• Can manage on-page SEO
• SEO friendly
• Safe and secure
• Universal platform
• Ease of Use
• Automatically generates the mobile version of each website
Both WordPress and Weebly are pretty popular with a different purpose. For beginners, Weebly can be a good application as it does not demand any technical expertise. All available elements are placed in front of you and you can drag them and drop to get your ideas together. But, if you are a master, then WordPress takes the upper hand. This tool lets you handle advanced requirements. Hundreds of responsive WordPress themes enable you to choose the one that fits your needs. With expert support, the platform lets you plan the features you need. With improved writing space, thousands of plugins, facility to save and work anytime, WordPress has its own charm.